Ep. 33: A Celebration of Rest
This episode is centered around rest. “Rest” is not usually something you find on someone’s list of things to celebrate, but Dr. Renee and Dr. Cristina sit down to discuss exactly why the right amounts of rest, in the truest sense of the word, helps us move forward stronger and wiser with a renewed sense of purpose.
● Rest is something that helps us recover with more vigor to do the most important things in our lives. Dr. Renee and Dr. Cristina note that capitalism always pushes us to rush and “strike while the iron is hot”; but, if we move without enough energy to actually do things effectively, what’s the point?
● It helps to create space in the calendar for rest. After all, if we’re using our sacred writing time to prepare for creation, rest factors into that process just as vitally as every other important activity that we schedule.
● There has been so much upheaval in the past year-and-a-half. Dr. Renee and Dr. Cristina reflect on what Las Doctoras means to them. “Ultimately,” says Dr. Cristina, “the work we’re doing with Las Doctoras is about being able to live our lives according to our principles.”
● Rest is not “the cherry on top” of your day—it is the base of the cake! How do you build anything on a weak or shaky foundation?
● If celebration is revolution, when we celebrate rest, we take a stance against white supremacy, capitalism, and the patriarchy, who want us to go, go, go; who see us as just part of the machine. Let’s throw a wrench in the machine known as oppression by celebrating rest!
● “Lazy” is a social construct. Laziness doesn’t actually exist. What does that word even mean? Do you lack motivation? Then why not ask why you’re lacking it and find a way to get it! Get to the root of the issue and solve it instead of hiding behind the word “lazy”!
Dr. Renee and Dr. Cristina are inviting you, today, to veg out.
Rest comes in more forms than simply sleep. Whenever we relax our minds—whether by taking a walk in nature or sitting on the couch watching Netflix—we are engaging in an activity that will refresh, recharge, and revitalize us for the tasks ahead.
What’s your favorite way to engage in that wonderful activity we call “rest”?
Connect with Las Doctoras:
Visit their website: www.lasdoctoras.net
Follow them on Instagram: www.instagram.com/las.doctoras